Latest revision date: 9 May 2018
1. TO WHOM DOES THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT APPLY?
1.1 This site (« Site ») is the property of and is managed by Belgocontrol, having its corporate headquarters at de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels (« We » or « Belgocontrol »).
Belgocontrol is an autonomous public company with the legislative aim:
- to guarantee the safety of air traffic in the civil airspace for which the Belgian State is responsible;
- to control the movements of aircraft at the airport of, Brussels Airport, during approach, landing, take-off and on the taxiways, as well as to manage the aircraft on the aprons and to guarantee the safety of air traffic at public regional airports and aerodromes;
- to provide the police, the airport and airport inspection authorities with information regarding aircraft, piloting, movements and the perceptible consequences thereof;
- to provide meteorological information for aviation, as well as telecommunication or other services pertaining to the activities mentioned in points a) and b).
1.2 Belgocontrol operates at various locations across Belgium and act as controller for the personal data that are processed by us.
As a public company we do our utmost to protect and process the personal data that are entrusted to us in a correct and transparent way, more particularly in accordance with the applicable law and especially with the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 (« GDPR »).
Please follow the links below for more information:
- What does this Privacy statement cover?
- How do we obtain personal data?
- Which personal data do we collect?
- For which purposes do we process personal data?
- On what legal basis do we process your personal data?
- To whom can we transmit your personal data?
- Which cookies do we use and how can you manage them?
- Are your personal data protected?
- How long will your personal data be saved?
- Will your personal data be used for automated decision-making?
- What are your rights?
- How can you contact us?
- Modifications to this Privacy statement
2.1 With this Privacy statement we wish to inform you about how and why we process your personal data as a controller when we perform our activities or when you visit this Site and the applications it features, to whom we transmit this information, what your rights are and who you can contact for more information.
2.2 When we refer to « this Site », we mean:
- any web page that starts with the url https://www.belgocontrol.be;
- the Belgocontrol Pressroom of which the web pages start with the url https://press.belgocontrol.be/.
This Privacy statement is not applicable to other web pages. It is in particular not applicable to web pages through which you can apply for current job openings or register for the mailing list and that start with the url "https://resourcemanager". Our separate Privacy statement for applicants applies to those pages.
2.3 This Site may contain links to other websites. Although we try to only insert links to websites that share our own standards regarding data protection, we are neither responsible for the contents nor for the policy regarding data protection of those websites. This Privacy statement only pertains to data collected by Belgocontrol.
When you click on links on this Site, we strongly advise to read the Privacy statements on the websites in question first, before sharing any personal data.
3. HOW DO WE OBTAIN PERSONAL DATA?
3.1 We can obtain your personal data in the context of performing our activities or when you visit this Site and the applications it features.
3.2 We can obtain such personal data because you have given it to us (e.g. via a form on this Site, by contacting us), because others have given them to us (e.g. other Belgian or international public services, third-party service providers that we rely on in the context of our activities), or because they are publicly available.
4.1 The personal data that we collect, can include the following elements:
- standard identification and contact information (e.g. name, address (private/professional), phone number (private/professional), e-mail address (private/professional), country of residence);
- electronic identification information (IP addresses, type of browser, etc.);
- personal characteristics (e.g. age, sex, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, language, ...);
- financial information (e.g. bank account number);
- lifestyle and social conditions;
- family circumstances (e.g. marital status);
- employment and education information (e.g. the organisation you work for, your job title, training);
- the information you provided in forms (e.g. feedback forms), to customer services (e.g. the Meteo customer service) and through any other services and communication channels that we offer;
- information on how you use our products and services;
- information on how you interact with us and other similar information;
- (mobile) communication information;
- profile information (e.g. passwords and user names);
- information on your presence on our site.
4.2 Via this Site we collect among other things personal data for the following specific services:
- harmonised online access to AIM and METEO services (AIM-METEO briefing)
Via the AIM-METEO briefing we offer the visitors of our website the possibility to gain online access to our "Aeronautical Information Management" (i.e. aviation information management, hereafter referred to as ‘AIM') and our METEO-services. For some of those services you need to create an account with user name and password.
Below you will find an overview of those services with their access possibilities:
The AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) for Belgium and Luxembourg: free access for website users;
FPL (Flight Planning): access restricted to registered users;
Data provision: access restricted to specific users,;
Meteo information: access restricted to registered users;
NOTAM briefing: partly free access to PIB information (Preflight Information Bulletin);
Handler Briefing: access restricted to specific users.
In the framework of the registration for METEO and/or flight planning information (FPL), the "Data provision" and the "Handler Briefing", we collect the following information: name, e-mail address, address, phone number, date of birth, type of customer, the service(s) you want and the reason why you registered.
- Feedback forms
We regularly ask you to give us feedback on this website regarding the services or products we provide. To that end, we use online forms, e.g. for our Meteo services (see "Meteo Feedback") and for AIM (see "AIM Feedback").
Via those online forms we collect the following information: name and first name, e-mail address, your general appreciation of the services or products we provide, as well as any specific remarks you may have.
- Request for climatic data
Via this section of our Site you can request climatic data through an online form (see "Request for Climatic data").
In the framework of this request, we collect the following information: name, first name, e-mail address, phone number, address, name and type of company, job title, as well as the type of data and their purpose, location and validity period. You can also submit payment information (i.e. invoice address and VAT number) and specific remarks.
- Opinion request from our Urbanism service
On this part of our Site you will find forms that you preferably submit digitally to request opinions regarding:
- the erection of wind turbines;
- the erection of buildings and other permanent obstacles (except wind turbines);
- the erection of cranes and other temporary obstacles.
In the framework of such opinion requests, we collect the following information: reference, company or private individual, address, contact person, phone number, cell phone number, e-mail, information on the wind turbine / crane / obstacle / building, opinions that have already been received and remarks.
- AIP order
In this section of our Site you will find a Belgocontrol order form that you can use to order the AIP and its amendments on paper and in electronic format.
Via this order form we collect the following information: name and first name, address and invoice address (if different), phone number, date of birth, fax, e-mail and VAT number, type of customer, professional activity, type of pilot and qualifications (if pilot).
- SPACC approval requests
On this part of our Site you will find forms that you can use to request an approval at the SPACC (Special Activities Coordination Cell) for special flights. It concerns a radio and TV relay flights form and a form for other special flights.
Via those request forms we collect the following information: identity of the operator, contact information, specific information on the desired flight and the aircraft used, as well as possible remarks.
- Updates "Belgocontrol Pressroom"
Via our Belgocontrol Pressroom you have the possibility to subscribe to our mailing list by introducing your e-mail address and then clicking the button "Subscribe".
You will subsequently receive news articles by e-mail that we publish in the ‘Belgocontrol Pressroom' section of our web site.
On this Site you will find contact information (e.g. phone numbers and e-mail addresses) that you can use in case you need specific information or if you have questions. We also collect all information (e.g. e-mail address, contents of e-mail messages, other contact information etc.) that you provide us with by contacting us.
5. FOR WHICH PURPOSES DO WE PROCESS PERSONAL DATA?
5.1 We process your personal data for our justified purposes as autonomous public company. Those purposes comprise, but are not restricted to:
- performing our legal tasks as autonomous public company, as mentioned in title 1.1 of the privacy statement:
- fulfilling national and international legal obligations;
- consultation services (e.g. regarding urbanism and activities in the airspace);
- reporting and research of (aeronautical) incidents;
- providing and managing training sessions;
- providing information on our organisation, products, services and activities;
- managing our (on-line) services, including AIM and METEO services;
- marketing and sales;
- customer and supplier management;
- managing orders and deliveries;
- invoicing and accounting;
- processing questions and requests;
- managing disputes;
- public relations and relationships with stakeholders;
- relationships with other national and international authorities / public services;
- access control;
6.1 We process your personal data for the purposes mentioned below:
- In order to comply with legal obligations
Many processing activities / business processes within Belgocontrol are performed on the basis of a legal obligation. Among other things, those obligations derive from the following legislation:
- ‘International Standards and Recommended Practices and Procedures for Air Navigation Services' drawn up by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) at the ‘Convention on International Civil Aviation', more specifically Annex 10 (Aeronautical Telecommunications), Annex 11 (Air Traffic Services) and Annex 13 (Aircraft Accident and Incident Investigation) and Annex 15 (Aeronautical Information Service (AIS));
- Law of 21 March 1991 on the reform of certain economic public companies.
- Law of 11 December 1998 on classification and security clearances, certificates and recommendations;
- Royal Decree of 24 March 2000 implementing the law of 11 December 1998 on classification and security clearances, certificates and recommendations;
- Regulation (EC) No 300/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 March 2008 on common rules in the field of civil aviation security and repealing Regulation (EC) No 2320/2002;
- COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 73/2010 of 26 January 2010 laying down requirements on the quality of aeronautical data and aeronautical information for the single European sky;
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 1035/2011 of 17 October 2011 laying down common requirements for the provision of air navigation services and amending Regulations (EC) No 482/2008 and (EU) No 691/2010;
- Royal Decree of 14 January 2013 determining the general rules of public procurement and public works concessions;
- Regulation (EU) No 376/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 3 April 2014 on the reporting, analysis and follow-up of occurrences in civil aviation, amending Regulation (EU) No 996/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council and repealing Directive 2003/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and Commission Regulations (EC) No 1321/2007 and (EC) No 1330/2007;
- Ministerial Decree of 1 April 2015 concerning the execution of a security clearance of the personnel of the Autonomous Public Company Belgocontrol and third parties.
- Law of 17 June 2016 on public procurements and its implementing Royal Decrees;
- In view of concluding and performing the contracts concluded with you
- Based on a mission of public service or in the framework of public authority
- Based on authorization
If we are legally bound to obtain your authorization to process your personal data for specific purposes, we will only process your data for those purposes when we have received such an authorization from you.
7.1 We can transmit your personal data to third parties who reasonably need access to those data in view of achieving one or several of the above-mentioned objectives.
- other authorities / public services, such as:
- the Belgian State;
- the Belgian Civil Aviation Authority;
- the national supervisory authority (BSA-ANS),
- airport inspection;
- the Air Accident Investigation Unit (Belgium) or AAIU(Be);
- the Brussels Airport Mediation service.
- third parties, such as:
- external service providers that Belgocontrol relies on in the framework of its activities (e.g. IT service providers, translation agencies, security companies);
- law enforcement and public authorities, in accordance with the applicable legislation;
- external professional advisors (e.g. lawyers or consultants of the Company).
Eurocontrol is an international organisation that is responsible for the central coordination of air traffic control in Europe. Eurocontrol has implemented an Aeronautical Information System or AIS), the so-called European AIS Database (EAD). In that system, to which all other European Air Navigation Service Providers of ANSP) have access, Belgocontrol has to publish and maintain certain data. That may also concern personal data.
As the EAD database does not only concern intra-European flights, it is possible that the (personal) data it contains are transmitted to receivers in non-EEA countries. In view of such possible transmissions, Belgocontrol has concluded a specific EAD agreement with Eurocontrol in which the necessary appropriate safeguards have been provided for the protection of your personal data.
Furthermore, Eurocontrol, in the framework of its activities, has to ensure compliance with a separate regulation on the protection of personal data that specifically applies to it and that ensures compliance of data protection principles by Eurocontrol. You can consult the regulation involved via this link.
8. WHICH COOKIES DO WE USE AND HOW CAN YOU MANAGE THEM?
You can find more information on cookies at the following website: www.allaboutcookies.org.
8.2 Cookies can be subdivided based on the following characteristics:
8.2.1 Session cookies or persistent cookies:
- Session cookies: are automatically deleted when you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies: are not automatically deleted when you close your browser, but stay saved on your computer or mobile device for a certain period of time (which varies from cookie to cookie).
8.2.2 First party cookies or third party cookies:
- First party cookies: are installed by Belgocontrol or one of its processors.
- Third party cookies: are installed by a controller that does not manage this Site.
8.3 On this Site we only use first party session cookies. Those cookies are essential to allow you to browse our website and to allow us to provide you with the services you request, such as displaying this Site in the language of your choice and identifying registered users after log-in.
The cookies we use are strictly necessary. Without them, we cannot offer certain services and this Site will not run as smoothly as you may expect from us. That is why those cookies will be used automatically.
8.4 Concretely we use the following cookies on our Site:
- User preference cookies
Those cookies are used to save your preferences regarding the language of this Site (English, French or Dutch) throughout your visit to various web pages.
This table offers more information on the use of user preference cookies on this Site:
|Cookie name||Description and function|
|Accept_cookie||This cookie registers that the user agrees with the use of the user preference cookie|
|Cookie_support||This cookie registers whether your internet-browser supports the cookie|
|Guest_language_id||This cookie saves your language preference|
- Log-in cookies
Certain services or pages on this Site are only accessible after having filled out a user name and a password, e.g. some of our AIM and METEO services (AIM-METEO briefing, see point 4.2).
Log-in cookies are used to identify you as a registered user after you have logged in, so that it is not necessary to identify yourself over and over again at each page.
This table offers more information on the use of log-in cookies on this Site:
|Cookie name||Description and function|
|jsessionid||This cookie saves the username|
As soon as you open this Site, you are informed on the use of those cookies via the cookie pop-up.
8.5 You can allow, disable and/or delete cookies via your browser. The cookie settings can mostly be found in the "options" or "settings" menu of your browser. The following links may prove useful to better understand those settings. You can also at all times use the "Help" button of your browser for more information:
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari
Please note that by disabling certain cookies, you may not be able to use certain of this Site's applications any longer, such as the closed environment for registered users.
9. ARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA PROTECTED?
9.1 We take strict technical and organisational (safety) measures to protect your personal data online as well as offline against access by unauthorized persons, unlawful processing, abuse, damage, loss and destruction.
9.2 In spite of the appropriate safety measures we take as soon as we receive your personal data, especially the transfer of data via the internet is never completely safe (including e-mail). We are doing our utmost to protect your personal data, but can never fully guarantee the safety of the personal data we receive or send.
10.1 Your personal data shall be saved no longer than necessary for the above-mentioned purposes.
10.2 As a general rule, the personal data of registered users on this Site are saved for a period of 1 month after the last connection with / use of the Site by the users.
11. WILL YOUR PERSONAL DATA BE USED FOR AUTOMATED DECISION-MAKING?
11.1 Automated decisions are decisions about persons which are based solely on the automated processing of personal data and which produces legal effects that significantly affect the persons involved.
12.1 You have several rights regarding the personal data that we process. In particular, you have the right:
- to access your personal data and to make a copy of it;
- to ask us to update or correct your personal data, if you think it is incorrect or incomplete;
- to ask to delete your personal data, or to limit the way in which we use those data, if you think that we do not (or no longer) have any legitimate basis to process it;
- to revoke your authorization regarding the processing of your personal data (insofar the processing is based on your authorization);
- to receive your personal data in a structured, conventional and machine-readable form and to transfer it to another party (insofar the processing is based on authorization or the performance of an agreement);
- to object against the processing of personal data for which we use general interests or the execution of public authority as a legal basis, which, after investigation, we will invoke to stop the processing unless we have overriding compelling justified grounds for the processing.
12.2 In view of the exercise of the above-mentioned rights you can:
send an e-mail to email@example.com or
You can also use this contact information if you wish to introduce a complaint regarding to the processing of personal data.
Furthermore, if you mean that Belgocontrol did not act in accordance with the legislation concerning the processing of personal data, you can file a complaint with the Data Protection Authority.
13. HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US?
13.1 If you have any questions regarding this Privacy statement or this Site in general, you can contact us:
- by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- by letter: Belgocontrol, Communication Department, Tervuursesteenweg 303, 1820 Steenokkerzeel.
14.1 We can modify this Privacy statement at all times. In order to keep you informed of the latest modification of the Privacy statement, we shall adapt the revision date on top of this page each time it is modified. The modified Privacy statement shall enter into force as of that date.
Please consult this page regularly to keep informed of any modifications and/or additions.