Our Junior Data Communication Engineer will receive an on-the-job training to become a subject matter expert in the field of aeronautical data communication. As our aeronautical data communication subject matter expert you will have developed the following skills, which will enable you to perform the following tasks:
- Very thorough specialized technical knowledge of all NID aeronautical data communication systems: ISAAC (message switching), international connections, etc. and good knowledge of the underlying IT infrastructure (IT networks, servers, cybersecurity, etc.). That will enable you to participate in Level 2 corrective maintenance (including troubleshooting and bug fixing) regarding NID (Network, IT & Data Communication) in support of Level 1 (Technical Watch Office) technicians and possibly to rely on Level 3 (supplier support).
- Very thorough operational specialized knowledge of all data communication protocols, procedures, regulation, etc. in the field of aeronautical message handling in all its aspects (including safety): in case of operational abnormalities, you can perform the necessary analyses and suggest possible optimizations.
- The above points also allow you to draw up technical specifications in the framework of the replacement and/or renovation of typical data communication systems such as ISAAC, international connection infrastructure, NM B2B, etc., and to organize the installation follow-up and testing in rolling out those systems.
- You also have to develop thorough knowledge of all aeronautical data communication aspects in the framework of international programs such as SESAR, SWIM, NewPENS, etc., so that you can follow up the evolution of those programs and can advise on the impact for Belgocontrol.
- The foregoing also applies to new technologies (cybersecurity, virtualization, etc.) that may have an impact on aeronautical data communication.
- You have to develop thorough knowledge of aeronautical data communication regulation (at European and ICAO level), so that you can follow up the evolutions in the field of that regulation and advise on the impact for Belgocontrol.
- You are prepared to organize training and info sessions for your colleagues with regard to the points above.
- You may be asked occasionally to provide support in installing, following up and testing for the roll-out of the underlying IT infrastructure (IT networks, servers, cybersecurity, etc.).
- The above-mentioned activities will require you to travel regularly for attending international meetings and working groups, where you will be representing Belgocontrol, and for participating in training, info sessions, etc.
- You will perform this job in daytime shifts, but you will be on a rotation on-call watch service (by cell phone).
- You have a Master of Science in Engineering or Industrial Science, preferably with a specialism in ICT, Telecom or Network Management;
- You have good basic knowledge of ICT & electronics, digital techniques, informatics, IT, networking;
- You have thorough theoretical and practical basic knowledge of data communication: components, networks, OSI layers, protocols (TCP/IP), network analysis and data cabling (fibre, UTP, Cu);
- You know your way around Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio). That allows you to document the subjects that concern you in a clear way. You are also communicative enough to present those subjects to an audience.
- You have active knowledge of Dutch, French and English;
- You are motivated and steadfast;
- You are eager to learn and want to gain in-depth knowledge;
- You like to show initiative, you are creative and dynamic and you are open to new challenges;
- You are stress-resistant and flexible;
- You have a sense of punctuality and cleanliness;
- You are a good team player, but you also like working autonomously;
- You hold a category B driving licence and you are prepared to be part of a watch service on a rotating basis.
In light of the vacancy to which you responded we would like to draw your special attention to the fact that prior to being employed by Belgocontrol candidates have to undergo a security screening which will be carried out by the National Security Authority. More info